Root Canal Therapy
One needs a root canal when there is inflammation or infection in the roots of a tooth.
During root canal treatment, an endodontist who specialises in such treatment cautiously removes the pulp from the tooth, cleans, sanitises, and shapes the root canals, and fills the resulting space.
Indications for Root Canal Therapy
Root canal therapy is necessary when the tooth’s pulp and nerve are rotten or infected.
Some of the leading causes of infection include severe decay, damaged tooth, an injury from an accident, or a poorly placed or functioning dental crown or filling.
- Swelling and redness in the face, neck, or head.
- Bone loss around the tooth root.
- Drainage problems may extend outward from the tooth root. A hole can form through the side of the tooth, draining into the gums or through the cheek with drainage into the skin.
Signs and symptoms that may indicate the need for root canal therapy:
- Constant pain in the affected tooth
- Extreme and prolonged sensitivity to hot or cold foods and beverages
- Discolouration of a tooth after trauma
- Swollen face
- Sensitive gums which are painful when chewing
Root Canal Therapy Procedures
The first step is undergoing an X-ray to determine the condition of the root canals and see if there are any signs of infections around the root.
Your Gosnells dentist will administer local anaesthesia to numb the area around the affected tooth.
Anaesthesia may be unnecessary since the nerve is dead, but most dentists still numb the area to keep the patient relaxed.
Next, your tooth will be drilled. This removes the infected pulp, nerve tissues, and other tooth structure. Water is used to flush out all the debris.
After cleaning, your tooth will be filled. Some dentists wait for a few days before sealing, but others don’t.
You can choose to have your tooth sealed on the same day you get a root canal therapy.
The last step is tooth restoration. A crown, crown and post, or other restoration need to be placed on the tooth for protection, prevention from breaking, and rehabilitation.
Your Gosnells dentist will discuss with you the need for any additional dental work.
Root Canal Therapy at Smile Dental Studios Gosnells
At Smile Dental Studios Gosnells, it is our passion to provide you with safe and effective root canal therapy with the help of regular check-ups and proper oral hygiene techniques.
We are your friendly dental practice located at 8/2328 Albany Hwy in Gosnells.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is root canal treatment painful?
If the tooth isn’t disturbing me, why do I need a root canal therapy?
How long does a root canal therapy take?
Book Your Consultation Today!
- We accept EFTPOS, all major Credit Cards, HBF, HCF, NIB, Medibank Private, BUPA and all major health funds through HICAPS.
Mon - Sun: –
We are open 7 days a week
There are plenty of transport links and free car parking available on site