Over-the-Counter Whitening vs Professional Whitening at Smile Dental Studios Gosnells
Nearly every product, from toothpaste to tray-based moulds, claims to whiten teeth.
Do these products work, or should you visit your Smile Dental Studios Gosnells dentist to achieve white teeth?
At Smile Dental Studios Gosnells we believe that over-the-counter (OTC) products can sometimes be useful in specific situations, but that in general professional whitening (either in-office or customised at-home treatment) is far more efficient, effective, safe, and timely.
Let’s take a quick look at OTC options, as well as what we offer at Smile Dental Studios Gosnells.
Why whiten your teeth?
Studies demonstrate that whiter teeth can lead to improved social life, work-life, and love life. Here are four specific reasons to consider whitening.
Special occasions. Want to have a stunning smile at a birthday, wedding, graduation, or anniversary? Tooth whitening can give it to you!
Discolouration. Over time our teeth naturally darken, and dietary choices, illness, and other influences can lead to additional darkening or discolouration.
Dingy or stained teeth have been demonstrated to make you look older and less attractive
Job interviews. An attractive smile has been proven to be an advantage at job interviews. Studies show that applicants with whiter teeth are more likely to be hired and at a higher wage.
Increased self-confidence. Your smile plays an integral part in your appearance, and an attractive appearance leads to increased confidence. Teeth whitening boosts your smile and also gives your self-confidence a boost!
OTC products include:
Whitening rinses. These are in your mouth for only a rinse, don’t whiten much, and can take weeks and weeks to have any effect.
Whitening toothpaste. This toothpaste can take 2-6 weeks to whiten your teeth slightly and only works on superficial stains.
They can also lead to tooth sensitivity. If the toothpaste contains abrasives, it can wear down the tooth enamel, leading to darker teeth as the darker dentin beneath is revealed.
Gel strips. These strips are ‘stuck’ to your teeth, twice daily, for 10 to 20 days. Typically, they only work on your front six teeth and can be swallowed.
Whitening trays. These trays are filled with bleaching gel and placed over the teeth. Because the trays are not custom made, they can rub and irritate gums, or allow the whitening gel to leak out, causing gum and stomach irritation.
The Answer: Professional Teeth Whitening at Smile Dental Studios Gosnells!
When you visit the professionals at Smile Dental Studios Gosnells for your teeth whitening, you get more predictable, whiter, and longer-lived results than you can achieve at home with OTC products.
This is for several reasons.
- Our equipment and training are superior. At Smile Dental Studios Gosnells, we use only the most technologically advanced and effective teeth whitening equipment and materials. Using high-grade tools alongside our experienced and talented staff dramatically increases the chance of better whitening in a safe environment.
- Higher-grade bleaching products yield faster results. Professional teeth whitening solutions often contain twice as much bleaching ingredient, and some also utilise a special light to facilitate whitening.
- More effective and longer lasting. OTC solutions can only whiten to a degree, and the effects are not as long lasting. While OTC whitening is usually a few shades, professional whitening can whiten up to 8 shades!
- Duration and quality control. No teeth whitening is permanent, and upkeep treatment is required, but professional whitening can last more than two years, while OTC kits may have effects that last only two weeks! During the whitening process, your Smile Dental Studios Gosnells dentist keeps track of quality control and safety both during treatment and in checkups afterwards. We monitor your teeth to be sure they look as you want. If not, we’ll recommend additional whitening or other treatments.
- There are increased risks associated with OTC teeth whitening. These risks include gum damage, tooth sensitivity, and even the threat of swallowing the whitening agent. Bleaching agents can cause irreversible damage to your teeth and gums. When you visit Smile Dental Studios Gosnells for your teeth whitening, these risks are minimised by our skill, experience, and the fact that we customise our treatments to you and your mouth.
- If you want white teeth, and quickly, you must choose in-office tooth whitening! With in-office whitening, you can leave our office, after just one treatment, with a smile that is up to 8 shades whiter. OTC products don’t get anywhere near this.
- Better coordination. If you have crowns, bridges, or fillings, you should be aware that whitening treatment does not affect them. Consequently, in whitening teeth that have dental work, you need a dentist who can be sure (through care or other treatment), that your smile does not become ‘checkered’.
Smile Dental Studios Information
Our primary dentist has over seven years of dental experience and provides high-quality dental treatment to all patients in the Gosnells area.
We focus on communicating effectively with our patients and building a solid rapport, therefore transforming many dental phobic patients to regular attendees.
Gosnells dentist also serves the local communities in Kelmscott, Maddington, Thornlie, Huntingdale, Cannington, Harrisdale, Armadale, Piarra Waters, Southern River, Forrestdale, Parkwood, Lynwood, Kenwick, Roleystone, Martin, Camillo, Champion Lakes, Seville Grove, Mount Nasura and Langford.
Gap Free – with HBF, HCF and NIB
Full dental exam, X-rays, Clean and Fluoride
$199 – Full Dental Exam, X-rays, Clean and Fluoride
(if no insurance, during Monday – Saturday 9am – 5pm. $249 outside of these hours)
We are your friendly dental practice located at 8/2328 Albany Hwy in Gosnells.
NEED ADVICE? JUST ASK US A QUESTION
Book Your Consultation Today!
- We accept EFTPOS, all major Credit Cards, HBF, HCF, NIB, Medibank Private, BUPA and all major health funds through HICAPS.
Smile now pay later with AFTERPAY!
Book at Smile Dental Studios Gosnells now and pay for the visit over 4 equal fortnightly payments.
Mon - Sun: –
We are open 7 days a week